Tyne and Wear HER(317): Little Benton village - Details
Little Benton village
The earliest reference to Little Benton village seems to be to John of Little Benton, c. 1161. Four taxpayers were listed in 1296 and 1312, 3 in 1336. Hollar's map of 1654 shows an east-west, 2 row village street; but by 1745 only 2 houses are shown; and on Armstrong's map of 1769 only one. The location of the village is uncertain, but may be near Little Benton farm, where there are earthworks on the north side, or on the site of Little Benton House on the east side of Coach lane, now covered by housing.
<< HER 317 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1871, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, Vol. 58, p. 104 1598, Vetera Indictamenta, QSI 1/55-Northumberland Records Office Hollar, 1898, Map of the Tyne, 1654, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XIII, p. 294 1745 Walker map Armstrong, 1769, Northumberland, ZAN PM 9 -Northumberland Records Office Tithe Awards, 1842, Little Benton, DT 294 S -Northumberland Records Office 19th century, Little Benton House and Little and East Benton, Nos. 6, 10, 13 -Newcastle Library Local Studies Seymour Bell Collection M.H. Dodds, ed. 1830, Little Benton Township, Northumberland County History, Vol. XIII, pp. 414-17 Wrathmell, Gazetteer of DMVs S Northumberland, p. 304