Tyne and Wear HER(3190): East Rainton, Rainton Mill - Details
East Rainton, Rainton Mill
Water Power Production Site
Rainton Mill and Brewery. The 1st edition OS mapping shows a mill dam and malt kilns on the site at the north end of the township beside Rainton Burn. Rainton Mill also served villagers of West Rainton as the priory managed the two Rainton villas as a single manor. Rainton Mill was half owned by the Bishop of Durham and as a result it in the Boldon Book c.1183 where it is stated that it was worth 15 marks (£10) in leasehold value. The rest of the mill was held by the priory. The mill was already in existence by the end of the 12th century when it was divided between the Bishop and the Priory. The value of the mill collapsed during the depression of the 14th and 15th centuries.
<< HER 3190 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham20; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p187