Tyne and Wear HER(3198): Rainton Bridge, Rainton Colliery, Plain Pit - Details
Rainton Bridge, Rainton Colliery, Plain Pit
Coal Mining Site
Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Owners were the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Messrs Wood, Philipson, Burrell and others) and Lady FA Vane Londonderry, Marquess of Londonderry (in 1850s). Part of Rainton Colliery, which was opened before 1815 and closed in July 1978. Rainton Colliery included Adventure Pit (NZ 315 470), Dun Well Pit (HER 3206), Alexandrina Pit (HER 3219), Hazard Pit (HER 3212), Meadows Pit (HER 6848), North Pit (HER 3197), Plain Pit (HER 3198), Resolution Pit (NZ 311 476). In 1790 a boring had been put down in South Pit in East Rainton by a Mr Rawlings, to a depth of 10 fathoms. Whellan reported that in 1894 Rainton Colliery had 31 stationary engines, 38 boilers, 1185 workers and 835 workmen's houses.
<< HER 3197 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham 20; Northern Counties Archaeological Services and Timescape Services, 2001 "Rainton Bridge South, Houghton-le-Spring, Sunderland - Desk-Based Assessment and Geophysical Survey of the Archaeological Potential"; Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd for Geoquest Associates, 2001, "An Archaeological Evaluation at Rainton Bridge South, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear"; Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, 2003, "An Archaeological Excavation at Rainton Bridge South, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear"; Gavin Glover, 2005, "Rainton Bridge South Waggonway", Industrial Archaeology Review, XXVII: 2, pp 235-244; East Rainton Women's Institute, no date, History of East Rainton (typescript)