Tyne and Wear HER(3201): Rainton Bridge, Rainton Colliery, Nicholson's Pit - Details
Rainton Bridge, Rainton Colliery, Nicholson's Pit
Coal Mining Site
Nicholson's Pit. Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Opened in 1817. Owners were the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Messrs Wood, Philipson, Burrell and others) and Lady FA Vane Londonderry, Marquess of Londonderry (in 1850s). Part of Rainton Colliery, which was opened before 1815 and closed in July 1978. Rainton Colliery included Adventure Pit (NZ 315 470), Dun Well Pit (HER 3206), Alexandrina Pit (HER 3219), Hazard Pit (HER 3212), Meadows Pit (HER 6848), North Pit (HER 3197), Plain Pit (HER 3198), Resolution Pit (NZ 311 476). In 1790 a boring had been put down in South Pit in East Rainton by a Mr Rawlings, to a depth of 10 fathoms. Whellan reported that in 1894 Rainton Colliery had 31 stationary engines, 38 boilers, 1185 workers and 835 workmen's houses.
<< HER 3201 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham20; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; N. Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham