Tyne and Wear HER(3212): East Rainton, Rainton/North Hetton Colliery, Hazard Pit - Details
East Rainton, Rainton/North Hetton Colliery, Hazard Pit
Coal Mining Site
Hazard Pit was served by the Rainton and Seaham North Hetton Branch, (SMR 3205). Part of Rainton Colliery. Opened in 1818. Owners were the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Messrs Wood, Philipson, Burrell and others) and Lady FA Vane Londonderry, Marquess of Londonderry (in 1850s). Part of Rainton Colliery, which was opened before 1815 and closed in July 1978. Rainton Colliery included Adventure Pit (NZ 315 470), Dun Well Pit (HER 3206), Alexandrina Pit (HER 3219), Meadows Pit (HER 6848), Nicholson's Pit (HER 3201), North Pit (HER 3197), Plain Pit (HER 3198), Resolution Pit (NZ 311 476). In 1790 a boring had been put down in South Pit in East Rainton by a Mr Rawlings, to a depth of 10 fathoms. Whellan reported that in 1894 Rainton Colliery had 31 stationary engines, 38 boilers, 1185 workers and 835 workmen's houses.
<< HER 3212 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham20; Wheelan's Directory of County Durham; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Norman Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; East Rainton Women's Institute, no date, History of East Rainton; Robert Hope, no date, Recollections of Life in the Village of East Rainton in the 1920s; Ken Richardson, Houghton-le-Spring and Hetton-le-Hole in Old Photographs; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p254