Tyne and Wear HER(3217): Rainton and Seaham Railway, Pittington Branch - Details
Rainton and Seaham Railway, Pittington Branch
Railway Transport Site
With the development of more effective pumping engines to drain previously unworkable deep coal seams and the development of nucleated collieries, the Rainton Waggonway, especially its southern lines, was extensively upgraded and re-organised by the Tempests, to whom it had passed by marriage from the Whartons in 1730. A number of new branch lines to collieries were constructed between 1816 and 1826. The line to Pittington Colliery (which lies in County Durham) was opened in 1826. Apart from the Robney Engine (HER ref. 3218), most of the Rainton and Seaham Railway, Pittington Branch lay within County Durham. It was part of the Londonderry Railway which closed in 1896.
<< HER 3217 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham20 C.E. Mountford, 1970, The Development of Colliery Railways in Co. Durham, p.14, 16; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 87F) p 163 and 172; Bell, 1829, Map of the Coalfield (TWAS 2/421)