Tyne and Wear HER(3219): East Rainton, Rainton Colliery, Alexandrina Pit (Letch Pit) - Details
East Rainton, Rainton Colliery, Alexandrina Pit (Letch Pit)
Coal Mining Site
The Alexandrina Pit (Coal) served by the Rainton and Seaham Railway, (SMR 3216). Part of Rainton Colliery. Also known as Letch Pit. Opened in 1824. Owners were the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Messrs Wood, Philipson, Burrell and others) and Lady FA Vane Londonderry, Marquess of Londonderry (in 1850s). A picture of the colliery by Hair. Part of Rainton Colliery, which was opened before 1815 and closed in July 1978. Rainton Colliery included Adventure Pit (NZ 315 470), Dun Well Pit (HER 3206), Hazard Pit (HER 3212), Meadows Pit (HER 6848), Nicholson's Pit (HER 3201), North Pit (HER 3197), Plain Pit (HER 3198), Resolution Pit (NZ 311 476). In 1790 a boring had been put down in South Pit in East Rainton by a Mr Rawlings, to a depth of 10 fathoms. Whellan reported that in 1894 Rainton Colliery had 31 stationary engines, 38 boilers, 1185 workers and 835 workmen's houses.
<< HER 3219 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham20; Wheelan's Directory of County Durham; TH Hair, 1844, Views of the Colleries in the Counties of Northumberland and Durham; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Norman Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2004, The Former Letch or Alexandrina Pit, West Rainton, City of Sunderland - Archaeological recording during safety works