Tyne and Wear HER(3224): Moorsley, North Hetton Colliery (Moorsley Colliery) - Details
Moorsley, North Hetton Colliery (Moorsley Colliery)
Coal Mining Site
North Hetton Colliery. The colliery was served by the Rainton and Seaham Railway North Hetton Branch, (HER 2305). Opened 1821, closed 1935. Owned by the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Wood, Philipson, Burrell etc) in the 1850s and later by the Lambton and Hetton Colleries Ltd. Whellan reports in 1894 that daily output of coal was 360 tons. There were 320 workers and an associated firebrick works which made 60,000 bricks per week and a gas retort works. In Moorsley village, the colliery company built a Mission Chapel (of St Cuthbert's Church, East Rainton), a Wesleyan methodist chapel and a Primitive methodist chapel. A school was built in 1871 for 360 children.
<< HER 3224 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1861, 6 inch scale, Durham20; www.dmm.org.uk; N. Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p247; Vance, S. 2017. Land adjacent to Hetton Road, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear: Historic Environment Desk-based assessment, Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd