Tyne and Wear HER(323): Newbottle village - Details
The earliest known documentary reference to Newbottle is 1112. It is clear from Boldon Buke (1183 survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset) that Newbottle was a major centre, with a new mill, and inhabited by bondmen, 19 cotmen, a bailiff, smith and pounder. It was also thriving in the 14th century at the time of Bishop Hatfield's Survey, with a minimum of 21 named tenants, 24 cottages, a common oven and a mill. In plan it is thought to have been a regular two-row plan settlement with green. There are some handsome 18th century houses bordering the green, and at the east end a farm, a 19th century church and churchyard.
<< HER 323 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, Vol. 25, passim W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, Vol. 32, D.A. Kirby, ed. 1972, Parliamentary Surveys of the Bishopric of Durham, Surtees Society, II Vol. 185, pp. 158-161 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Enclosure Awards, 1671, Copies of Chancery Decree Awards, Newbottle, 30 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Halmote Court Books, 1672, Newbottle, Vol. 85, f. 1556 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Halmote Court Books, 1700, Newbottle East, North and West Fields,Vol. 91, f. 1835 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Halmote Court Addit maps and plan, 19th century Land at Newbottle, 25a Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Halmote Court Addit maps and plans, 19th century Houghton and Newbottle, 26g Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Tithe Awards, 1840, Newbottle G. Milburn, 1979, Newbottle: An Outline History, Durham County Local History Society, Bulletin 23, August 1979, pp. 12-28; Ian Nairn, 1964, A Townscape Gazetteer - County Durham, Architectural Review, Vol. 135 (1964) p 122