Tyne and Wear HER(3411): Stella, Forge - Details
Metal Smelting Site
This water-driven forge at the west end of Stella once belonged to Peter Hutchinson of Ryton. This establishment was afterwards enlarged by the addition of an iron foundry, which in 1828 belonged to Mr Emmerson. It subsequently passed into the hands of Messrs R.J. and R. Laycock of Winlaton (see HER ref. 1813), who manufactured railway wagons. No sign of this once-thriving industry now remains.
<< HER 3411 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2 Stella Industries -Historic Environment Record