Tyne and Wear HER(3422): Blaydon Burn, Haggerstones Mill/Fenwick's Mill - Details
Blaydon Burn, Haggerstones Mill/Fenwick's Mill
In 1736 the antiquarian Bourne noted the following:"The ruins of Fenwick's Flour Mill are next… the mill was last used by Messrs Bagnall as a file cutting establishment". In a Valuation of the Properties of P.E. Towneley 1821 the following appears: "John Fenwick - Corn Mill with two pairs of stones. Building out of repair, granary, two small byers, stable and barn, all in bad condition". The mill is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and on the 1838 tithe map as Haggerstone's Mill. It is marked on the 1896 map as ‘disused’ and is the site of a further building by 1919. There is some confusion over the names of this mill and the mill near the site of the forge which is referred to as Haggerstone's Mill by Bourne.
<< HER 3422 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2 Blaydon Burn, The Industrial Background