Tyne and Wear HER(3435): Blaydon Burn, Blaydon Burn Bridge - Details
Blaydon Burn, Blaydon Burn Bridge
Road Transport Site
The bridge was erected in 1778, replacing an earlier ford, and still survives largely complete below the 1936 road bridge. It was built of sandstone ashlar, approximately 0.75m x 0.19m x 0.25m, probably obtained locally, if not from one of the quarries actually on Blaydon Burn. The stones are dressed with a rusticated face and drafted margin and features a single arch, and parapets with chamfered copings and settings for iron railings. On the south eastern side of the bridge was a carved circular stone capping the end of the bridge parapet, this had been removed on each of the other corners. There was some structural evidence that the bridge has been widened to the north.
<< HER 3435 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2