Tyne and Wear HER(3436): Blaydon, Blaydon Foundry - Details
Blaydon, Blaydon Foundry
Engineering Industry Site
Blaydon Foundry. Owned by Smith Patterson. Made mileposts for Northumberland and the Isle of Mull. There are two types in Northumberland, which still survive. Those on the road from Newcastle to Belsay are shield shaped. Those between Morpeth and Belford are rugby ball shaped. In 1856 GW Hawdon & Sons were based at a Blaydon Foundry (iron and brass founders and millwrights).
<< HER 3436 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2; William Whelan, 1856, History, Topography and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham