Tyne and Wear HER(3437): Blaydon, Railway Station - Details
Blaydon, Railway Station
Railway Transport Site
Blaydon Railway Station on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway (HER ref. 3292) was opened on 9th March 1835, the beginning of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway Company. The line on this initial opening extended 17 miles to Hexham. Two locomotives drew the first train - "Rapid" by Stephenson and Company and "Comet" by Hawthorns, taking one and a half hours to complete the journey.
<< HER 3437 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2; N.G. Rippeth, 1990, Blaydon in old picture postcards