Tyne and Wear HER(3458): Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, Newcastle branch line - Details
Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, Newcastle branch line
Railway Transport Site
This branch of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway ran from the original line (HER ref. 3292) over the Tyne and into Newcastle. It was laid as far as the Elswick Shot Tower in 1893, to Forth Banks in 1847 and into the Central Station on 1st Jan 1851. In 1862 the line became part of the North Eastern Railway. Surviving features associated with the line were recorded in 2008.
<< HER 3458 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 Hoole, K. 1986, A Regional History of the Railways of Gt Britain, The North East, Vol 4, p.197; W.W. Tomlinson, 1914, The North Eastern Railway - Its Rise and Development, p 321; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2008, Scotswood Housing Expo, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording