Tyne and Wear HER(3459): Blaydon Way (or Shibdon) - Details
Blaydon Way (or Shibdon)
This Wagonway from Blaydon Main Colliery (Low Shibdon), (HER ref. 3457) to Blaydon Main Staiths (HER ref. 3460). opened in 1740s and was relaid with iron rails in 1853. Closed 1920s.
<< HER 3459 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2 G. Bennett, E. Clavering & A. Rounding, 1990, A Fighting Trade - Rail Transport in Tyne Coal 1600-1800 vol 1: 180, vol 2: 17 Durham Records Office, D/CG 19/38, 40 Northumberland Records Office, NEIMME Buddle XIV 5 Winlaton and District Local History Society, 1975, History of Blaydon, p 81 Gateshead Library Local Studies, of the Collieries on the Rivers Tyne and Wear, GPL CAB A1/10 W. Casson, 1801, Plan showing Collieries and Waggonways on the rivers Tyne and Wear, Gateshead Library Local Studies, GPL CAB A1/4 A. Williams, 2004, A Fighting Trade - Review and mapping of routes; unpublished document for Tyne & Wear Heritage Environment Record; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 64) 156, 171;