Tyne and Wear HER(3462): Derwent Haugh, Firebrick Manufactory (Ramsay's Old Yard) - Details
Derwent Haugh, Firebrick Manufactory (Ramsay's Old Yard)
Brick and Tilemaking Site
Fire Clay Works
The 1st edition OS mapping shows "Firebrick & Bone Manure Manufactories", by the Tyne at this point. It has been attempted to record them separately but it is not entirely clear whether they were two distinct sites or two processes on the one site. 1800-1890 George Heppel began making firebricks at Derwenthaugh in 1789. His grandson, George Heppel Ramsay, took over the running of the brickworks in 1810. The works stood just to the east of Garesfield colliery staith and in 1828, as well as firebricks and pantiles being made here, Mr Ramsay had a malting, a bone manure manufactory, and made flint and colours for potteries (see HER 3462). Fireclay was obtained from Blaydon Main colliery. In 1880, a year after George H Ramsay died, the brickworks and adjacent site were sold to Consett Iron Company, who made bricks here until 1890 and were marked GARESFIELD.
<< HER 3462 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 2 ; Davison, P J, 1986. Brickworks of the North East, 133 site 25, 137