Tyne and Wear HER(350): Offerton, well of St. Cuthbert - Details
Offerton, well of St. Cuthbert
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Storage Site
The inclusion of this well, and the associated chapel (HER no. 349), on the HER depends solely on a single reference in an "antient deed" in the possession of the 19th century antiquarian John Hodgson, and cited by him in a footnote. "An antient deed...by which William Basset conveyed to John de Staindrop, called the Coroner, a messuage and lands in Offerton, in the county of Durham, mentions 'the chapel of the blessed Cuthbert in Vfferton', and 'the well of St.Cuthbert' in that village". There is no trace on the ground and no local tradition for the well.
<< HER 350 >> J. Hodgson, 1832, History of Northumberland, Part II, Vol. II, p. 132 Revd. P.B.G. Binnall & M.H. Dodds, 1947, Holy Wells in Northumberland and Durham, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, X (for 1942-46), p. 84 Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, ISS, 1978, Possible Med. Holy Well and chapel