Tyne and Wear HER(352): Washington village - Details
The earliest documentary reference to Washington village is in Boldon Buke (1183 survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset) when the vill, but not the church or its lands, was held by William de Hertburne. In Hatfield's Survey of the 14th century Wm. of Washington, knight, held the manor and vill. In the 15th century the owners were the Blaykestons, and in the 18th century the Bracks when "inconsiderable and scattered on the skirts of the brook". It has been interpreted as a regular two-row plan with a green, although this is not entirely supported by the historic map evidence.
<< HER 352 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, p. 45 and appendix W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, p. 102 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of...Durham, Vol. II, pp. 614-17 R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, Vol. II, pp. 40-44 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Shafto Papers, 1702, The Bounders of the Manor of Washington William Brown collection, C188, Vol. III, no. 18 - Northumberland Records Office 19th century, 309/M196 -Northumberland Records Office Washington, Blue House farm, D/Br/P/81, 82 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Tithe Awards, 1840, Washington Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1:2,500 scale, Durham VII.14