Tyne and Wear HER(3529): Gateshead, Shipcote Colliery - Details
Gateshead, Shipcote Colliery
Coal Mining Site
Shipcote Colliery. Opened c1856, closed 1880s. Associated with North Pit. Owned by John Bowes and Co in the 1850s, then by Marley Hill Coal Company, then John Bowes and Partners Ltd.
<< HER 3529 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 3; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; NPA, 2010, Lindisfarne Drive/Sunderland Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Assessment