Tyne and Wear HER(3533): Gateshead, Tyne Main/Friars Goose Wagonway - Details
Gateshead, Tyne Main/Friars Goose Wagonway
Tyne Main Wagonway ran from the two Tyne Main Pits, (SMR numbers 3532 and 3538), to the Tyne Main Staiths, (SMR 3534). Probably followed the line of the earlier Friar's Goose Way, built c.1746 which ran to Friars Goose from a staith on the Saltmeadows frontage of the River Tyne. It is shown on a map of 1747. Gibson's map of the Coalfield of 1787 shows the disused waggonway's staith.
<< HER 3533 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 3 Bennett, G, Clavering, E & Rounding, A, 1989, A Fighting Trade, Vol 1, p 156; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 47) 160, 169; TWAS Gateshead Park Estate, 1810, DT/Bell/2/155; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Gibson's Map of the Coalfield 1787