Tyne and Wear HER(3536): Rowlands Gill, Derwent Bridge - Details
Rowlands Gill, Derwent Bridge
Road Transport Site
The Derwent Bridge. Crossed the Derwent between Burnopfield and Rowlands Gill, on the border between Tyne and Wear and Durham. The bridge was built in 1727 as a waggonway bridge carrying a re-alignment of the Clavering's waggonway to staiths at Derwenthaugh. The waggonway crossing is first shown on a plan of 1750 apparently comprising a single-arched 'bridge' on abutments of stone with substantial approach batteries, carrying a single track across the river. The upper part of the present bridge is a 19th century rebuild, perhaps assocaited with the conversion of the waggonway route into a turnpike down Busty Bank. However, the lower parts of the bridge abutment on the eastern side are of earlier masonry - oblong ashlars - and are probably part of the 1727 construction.
<< HER 3536 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 6; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2011, New car parking Warren Haugh and West Wood, Gibside - Archaeological Assessment