Tyne and Wear HER(3555): Blaydon Burn, Gas Retort Works - Details
Title of image: Blaydon Gas Works
Date: Date Unknown
Description: Blaydon Gas Works was situated on Gas Lane at the rear of the current Black Bull Hotel. Blaydon was first lit with gas in 1853, with the help of Joseph Cowen of Stella Hall. This illustration shows a gasometer of unusual design - notice the counterweights on the side of the gasometer.
Location/Collection: Gateshead Libraries/Gateshead Local Studies Image Collection
Accession number: GL001047
Copyright: Content Copyright Â© Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved.
Blaydon Burn, Gas Retort Works
Coal Gas Structure
Joseph Cowen and his brother set up as manufacturers of firebricks at Blaydon Burn, later extending the works to Blaydon where they established gas works. This was originally intended to light their own factory, but in 1853 they extended the facility to the village of Blaydon. The retort works are marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan but the buildings appear to have been demolished by 1898 when the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan was published.
<< HER 3555 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 6 Tyne & Wear HER, Blaydon Burn File Blaydon Burn, The Industrial Background; William Whelan, 1856, History, Topography and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham