Tyne and Wear HER(356): Team Colliery, (Eighton Moor or Ravensworth Ann Colliery) - Details
Team Colliery, (Eighton Moor or Ravensworth Ann Colliery)
Coal Mining Site
Said to have been sunk in 1824, in 1844 the Team Colliery (in 1898 the Betty Pit) was held under lease from Lord Ravensworth by William Wharton Burdon Esq., of Hartford House, Co. Durham, whose ancestors had had it since 1796. In 1843, as Eighton Moor Colliery, it was shown on a wagonway which went north-west past Farnacres Colliery to the river Team, and north north-east past Sheriff Hill Colliery to join the Ouston and Pelaw wagonway. Subsidiary pits include Street Pit (NZ 2705 5748), joined to the Team Colliery by a wagonway; and also Meadow Pit (NZ 2616 5820), Flat Pit (NZ 2685 5762), Corn Pit (north of Team Colliery), all disused by 1897, and Nelly Pit (south-west of Low Eighton), Chance Pit (very close to Nanny Pit), and Nanny Pit (NZ 2580 5823), disused by 1967. There were others, some on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition plan (c.1860), including Bank, Betty, Centre, Corner, Dene, Emidy, George, Green, Hall, Hill, Landsale, Lane, Letch, North, Quarry, Rush, Spring, and Wood. Team Colliery closed in 1941, and the site was subsequenty reclaimed.
<< HER 356 >> J.T.W. Bell, 1843, Plan of the Tyne and Wear Coal District T.H. Hair, 1844, Views of the Collieriesâ€¦of Northumberland and Durham, pp. 36-37 Ordnance Survey, 1857, 1st ed. 6 Durham, VI and VII Ordnance Survey, 1898, 2nd ed. 6 Durham, VII SW Ordnance Survey, 1967, 1:10,000, NZ 25 NE B. Dowding, Durham Mines, Library ref. L 622.33 -Newcastle Library Local Studies National Coal Board, Durham Division, 1958, Catalogue of Plans of Abandoned Coal Minesâ€¦ Libray ref. L 622.33, pp. 78, 203 -Newcastle Library Local Studies; http://www.dmm.org.uk (Ravensworth Ann Colliery/Team Colliery).