Tyne and Wear HER(3602): Houghton-le-Spring, William Street, Wesleyan Chapel - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, William Street, Wesleyan Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition of 1850. Opened on 9th November 1837. The building cost £900. In 1856 the minister was John H Faull. There was a day school and Sunday school close to chapel built in 1851 for £300. In 1962 the chapel closed and was demolished. The organ was moved to St. Chad's Church in East Herrington. Site now under A690.
Ordnance Survey first edition, 1850; Paul Lanagan, 2013, Houghton Methodist Churches, www.houghtonlespring.org.uk; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non-Conformist Chapels in Sunderland