Tyne and Wear HER(3653): Gibside Estate, Snipes Dean Pit - Details
Gibside Estate, Snipes Dean Pit
Coal Mining Site
Snipes Dean Pit (Coal) is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan. References to coal working on the Gibside estate date from 1607 and ceased with the closure of this small drift mine in 1884. Surviving features include the mouth of a drift, two adits and a small concentration of shaft mounds. The workings appear to be relatively small scale, but may include undisturbed 17th century underground galleries.
<< HER 3653 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 6 English Heritage, Monuments Protection Program, Site Assessment; Harry Beamish, Autumn 1993, Summary Table - Gibside; Eric Clavering and Alan Rounding, 1995, Early Tyneside Industrialism: The lower Derwent and Blaydon Burn Valleys 1550-1700, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol XXIII, pages 249-268; David Levine and Keith Wrightson, 1991, The Making of an Industrial Society: Whickham 1560-1765, pages 33-34; J.U. Nef, 1932, The Rise of the British Coal Industry, ii, p 415, Durham Record Office D/St/D5/2/16, 17; D/St/D5/2/120-6; Surtees Society Vol 142, page 27