Tyne and Wear HER(3694): Byermoor Colliery - Details
Coal Mining Site
A coal pit with a gin is shown on Ordnance Survey first edition. By 1860, Byermoor Colliery had opened on this site. It closed on 2 February 1968. It was opened by the Marley Hill Coal Company and subsequently owned by John Bowes & Partners Ltd and from 1947 the National Coal Board. The colliery worked the Busty and Brockwell seams, producing 500 tons of coal a day in 1894. There were 156 coke ovens adjacent to the colliery.
<< HER 3694 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 6; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; Norman Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield