Tyne and Wear HER(3835): Windy Nook, Windynook Quarries - Details
Title of image: Windy Nook Quarry
Date: Date Unknown
Description: Windy Nook Quarry was owned by R. Kell & Co. Quarrying was an ancient occupation in this area and there were many quarries in the vicinity. Richard Kell was the second son of Ebenezer Kell of Felling Shore. Born in 1749, Richard began quarrying at Heworth Shore in 1784. The family continued the business of quarrying throughout the 19th century, establishing quarries at High Heworth and Windy Nook, amongst others. St. Albanâ€™s Church, Windy Nook Board Schools, the Co-operative Society and Windy Nook Fever Hospital are among the many buildings built with stone from Kellâ€™s Quarry at Windy Nook. The quarries became run down in the first half of the 20th century and were eventually filled in during the 1960s.
Location/Collection: Gateshead Libraries/Gateshead Local Studies Image Collection
Accession number: GL002398
Copyright: Content Copyright Â© Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved.
Windy Nook, Windynook Quarries
Stone Extraction Site
Historic Ordnance Survey map evidence shows Windynook Quarries at this location.
<< HER 3835 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 7