Tyne and Wear HER(3837): Heworth, Incline ? (High Heworth Way) - Details
Heworth, Incline ? (High Heworth Way)
A possible incline is shown on the 1st edition OS mapping as a track or path, with a building adjacent to it called Incline House. This makes up a short section of the High Heworth Way identified by Alan Williams. The waggonway was possibly in use by 1701, running from Blackett's Heworth Colliery to Heworth Shore. The line also carried grindstone roughed out in quarries in Heworth. A branch line led to the Grindstone Quay at the western end of Heworth Shore. The main line was extended by 1805 and carried coal from Sheriff Hill Colliery.
<< HER 3837 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 7; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 44) 158, 169; NRO: PSAN/BEQ/9/1/3/16