Tyne and Wear HER(3890): Heworth, Upper Heworth Colliery (Ada Pit) - Details
Heworth, Upper Heworth Colliery (Ada Pit)
Coal Mining Site
Historic Ordnance Survey map evidence shows the position of Upper Heworth Colliery. Upper Heworth Colliery. Ada Pit opened at Heworth in the 1700s. It closed 29 June 1963. Former owners included Mr Blackett, JP Pearson and Co (1850s), Henderson Anderson & Co, Heworth Coal Company Ltd and from 1947 NCB. Plans of Heworth Colliery exist from 1762. The winding pit was sunk in 1819 to the Hutton seam and to Beaumont seam in 1876. In 1894 1000 men and boys worked there. The staithes were at Pelaw. On 5 September 1826 an explosion killed 5 people.
<< HER 3890 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 7; http://www.dmm.org.uk; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; Norman Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield