Tyne and Wear HER(3896): Springwell, Mount Moor Colliery, Vale Pit - Details
Springwell, Mount Moor Colliery, Vale Pit
Coal Mining Site
Mount Moor Colliery, Vale Pit. Opened before 1826, closed May 1931. In the 1850s the colliery was owned by John Bowes & Co, and later by the Marley Hill Coal Co. Mount Moor Colliery was probably operating by the early 18th century, since references in Washingron Parish registers show that as early as 1729 The Mount was inhabited by pitmen. Some of these workings had been abandoned by 1782, but the colliery is known to have been working in the mid-19th century, notably at Vale Pit.
<< HER 3896 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 7; Durham Mining Museum, www.dmm.org.uk