Tyne and Wear HER(3915): Birtley, Blackfell Engine - Details
Birtley, Blackfell Engine
Blackfell Engine with it's associated reservoirs on the Pelaw Main Wagonway. The first ever fixed engine used for hauling wagons was erected on Birtley Fell in 1808 by Samuel Cooke, one of the owners of the Bewicke Main or Urpeth Colliery, when forming a wagonway to the River Tyne. It began working on the 17th May, 1809, drawing four chauldron wagons up the plane.
<< HER 3915 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; W.W. Tomlinson, 1914, The North Eastern Railway - Its Rise and Development, p 18