Tyne and Wear HER(3930): Walbottle, Walbottle Colliery, Duke Pit - Details
Walbottle, Walbottle Colliery, Duke Pit
Coal Mining Site
Walbottle Colliery, Duke Pit. Could be as early as 1740. This is not shown on the 2nd edition OS mapping, so was out of use by 1895. Walbottle Colliery (HER 4229) opened before 1828. Owners in the 1850s were J. Lamb, Potters and Joblings Trustees, then R.O. Lamb, then Terale & Kirton, later Kirton, Rowell & Dodd, Walbottle Coal and Firebrick Co and lastly Lemington Colliery Co ltd. Blucher Pit closed in 1867 but was reopened in 1900 by the Throckley Coal Company, the owners of pits at Heddon, Throckley and Newburn.
<< HER 3930 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 96