Tyne and Wear HER(3942): Throckley, Throckley Quarry - Details
Throckley, Throckley Quarry
Stone Extraction Site
Throckley Quarry. The 2nd edition OS mapping shows an expansion of the quarry. Atkinson's book of 1980 shows a photograph of a "dandy cart" from Throckley Quarry, where local clay was quarried and burnt to a good quality brick. There is also a drawing in Tomlinson's book on the NER. Clay was moved by wagon, and the empty wagons returned to the quarry by horse. To spare the horse a long walk behind the loaded wagons, it was trained to ride behind in a dandy cart or horse-wagon, originally designed by George Stephenson for the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1828. Throckley Wagonway used one until 1907. A surviving example of a dandy cart from Throckley is now at Beamish Museum.
<< HER 3942 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 87; F. Atkinson, 1980, North East England - People At Work 1860-1950; WW Tomlinson, 1914, The North Eastern Railway - Its Rise and Development