Tyne and Wear HER(3984): Walbottle, Walbottle Colliery, Coronation Pit - Details
Walbottle, Walbottle Colliery, Coronation Pit
Coal Mining Site
Walbottle Colliery, Coronation Pit. The 2nd edition OS mapping shows an expansion of this site. Opened in 1820 and called Coronation Pit to mark the coronation of George IV. A village grew up around the pit. Walbottle Colliery (HER 4229) opened before 1828. Owners in the 1850s were J. Lamb, Potters and Joblings Trustees, then R.O. Lamb, then Terale & Kirton, later Kirton, Rowell & Dodd, Walbottle Coal and Firebrick Co and lastly Lemington Colliery Co ltd. Blucher Pit closed in 1867 but was reopened in 1900 by the Throckley Coal Company, the owners of pits at Heddon, Throckley and Newburn.
<< HER 3984 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 87 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 87, SE; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk