Tyne and Wear HER(4011): Fawdon Colliery, Engine Pit - Details
Fawdon Colliery, Engine Pit
Coal Mining Site
Fawdon Old Pit shown on the 1st edition OS mapping, despite the name. The colliery and Engine Pit opened in 1810. There were several pits - A Pit, B Pit (opened in 1813), E Pit (opened in 1823) and F Pit (opened in 1836 for draining water). Fawdon Colliery was owned by Newmarch Sons & Co. On 5 September 1827, an explosion killed 2 miners and injured 3.
<< HER 4011 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 88; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Thomas Hair, 1844, Views of the colleries in the counties of Northumberland and Durham