Tyne and Wear HER(4013): Coxlodge Colliery, Regent Pit - Details
Coxlodge Colliery, Regent Pit
Coal Mining Site
Opened before 1821, closed 1894. Coxlodge Colliery had three pits Bower Pit, Jubilee or North Pit and Regent or Engine Pit. Owners of the colliery in the 1850s were Bell and Brandling, then Joshua Bower, then Burradon and Coxlodge Colliers, and lastly NG Lambert & Co. An explosion on 6 March 1863 killed 19 people.
<< HER 4013 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 88; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; TH Hair, 1884, Views of the Colleries in The Counties of Northumberland and Durham; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, pp 83-88 and 103-105; St. James' Heritage & Environment Group and the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, 2012, Waiting at the Pit Head - Coal Mining Disasters on Tyneside (leaflet)