Tyne and Wear HER(4048): Lemington, Bell's Close, Carr's Yard, Firebrick Works - Details
Lemington, Bell's Close, Carr's Yard, Firebrick Works
Brick and Tilemaking Site
Fire Clay Works
A Firebrick Works. The Site of Carr's Yard, which was producing fireclay goods from 1834-1894. Owned by William Ridley Carr, then Thomas Carr & Son, then Walter Scott LTD. Possible manufacturers in 1847-1855 was Blacklock & Hall (firebrick makers); 1861 was J Cliff & Sons (firebrick makers); 1883 was W H Allen (firebrick makers).
<< HER 4048 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 P.J. Davidson, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, pp 68-9; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk