Tyne and Wear HER(4072): Scotswood, Scotswood Station - Details
Scotswood, Scotswood Station
Railway Transport Site
Scotswood Station on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway was opened in 1839. The station was primarily for goods and acted as a junction between the Scotswood, Newburn and Wylam Railway and the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway. This situation changed with the taking over of the Scotswood branch in 1883. The station buildings included a coal depot, warehouse, loading dock and sidings to the adjacent Armstrong Whitworth Engineering Works. The station was seriously damaged by fire in October 1879. This caused the rearrangement of building function whilst new buildings were constructed. The station closed in 1967 - partly as a result of the construction work in Scotswood, and in particular the work for the present Scotswood Road Bridge.
<< HER 4072 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 G. Whittle, 1979, The Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, p 110-111, 115, 121, 184-185; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2008, Scotswood Housing Expo, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording