Tyne and Wear HER(4083): Benwell Colliery, West Pit - Details
Benwell Colliery, West Pit
Coal Mining Site
Benwell Colliery, West Pit (Coal). This is just shown as an Old Shaft on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey. Benwell Colliery opened in 1766. There were three other pits - Beaumont Pit (HER 4107 - opened in 1809), Charlotte Pit (HER 4081 - opened in April 1766) and Edward Pit (probably HER 4068 - opened in 1809). The Colliery was owned by W. Cochrane Carr Ltd and from the 1930s, the Elswick Coal Company Ltd. Steam engine and pit shown on Plan of Andrew Bowes Estate, 1811.
<< HER 4083 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Plan of Andrew Bowes Estate,1811 (NRO Seymour Bell Collection)