Tyne and Wear HER(4098): Elswick, Elswick Colliery - Details
Elswick, Elswick Colliery
Coal Mining Site
Elswick Colliery. Opened before 1828. This was probably out of use by 1895, as it is not shown on the 2nd edition OS mapping. Owned by Elswick Colliery Company and then Elswick Coal Company Ltd. There were 3 other associated pits - North Elswick Pit (HER 4076), Mill Pit and Wortley/Engine Pit, which was sunk in 1805.
<< HER 4098 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk