Tyne and Wear HER(4114): Elswick, Low Elswick Gas Works - Details
Elswick, Low Elswick Gas Works
Coal Gas Structure
Elswick Gas Works were brought into use in 1859 when two smaller works at Manors and Sandgate were closed down. Production of town gas at Elswick was large but not enough to prevent claims of poor supply to some parts of the town. A further complaint about the site, dating from 1871, was that "an abominable stench arises from the gas works". Despite these problems the invention of the mantle in the 1880s saw gas used for lighting in the streets and houses until the Second World War. However, the increasing availability of electric lighting in the 1940s brought about the closure of many gas works, including that at Elswick. Buildings were demolished in 1974. Two gas holders survive in 2013.
<< HER 4114 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 Riverside Heritage, Lead, Leather and Gas NCAU, 1988, West City Area, A Report on the archaeology and industrial archaeology; Dr Gillian Eadie, 2013, Newcastle Heliport, Newcastle upon Tyne, Cultural Heritage Desk-Based Assessment; A R Fairbairn, no date, Elswick (unpublished document held at Tyne and Wear Archives); J Foster, 1995, Newcastle upon Tyne: A Pictorial History; Photo of Low Elswick Gas Works during demolition, 1974, SINE archive, Newcastle University, Stafford Linsley Collection, No. A691