Tyne and Wear HER(4136): Newcastle, Garth Heads, Clay Pits - Details
Newcastle, Garth Heads, Clay Pits
Clay Extraction Site
Three Clay Pits at Garth Heads are shown but not named on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch/1 mile map series. They are, however named on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch series. Evidence for clay extraction was found during archaeological excavation in 1994 which revealed the foundations of Hadrian's Wall, along with 19th century pottery and kiln furniture. The clay pits were out of use by 1869 when Garth Heads Improved Housing was built on the site.
<< HER 4136 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 25 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 Newcastle City Archaeology Unit, 1994, Garth Heads Archaeological Evaluation Tyne and Wear Museums, 1995, Garth Heads Watching Brief Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2003, Sallyport Buildings, Melbourne Street, Newcastle Archaeological Assessment