Tyne and Wear HER(4156): Byker, St. Ann's Brickfield - Details
Byker, St. Ann's Brickfield
Brick and Tilemaking Site
This Brickfield, with what appear to be clay pits is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, but not on the 2nd edition, indicating that it was probably out of use by 1895. The precise location of the site is uncertain, however. The field was probably only used for the extraction of brick clay. A windmill to the west of Stepney Bank was used to drive a pump or pug mill for the brickyard. The most prominent brickmaker of the period was Samuel Carr of Red Barns, last recorded in a trade directory of 1841. His works were at the top of Stepney Bank and this was probably his brickfield.
<< HER 4156 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 K. Inkster & L. Trueman, 1997, Stepney Bank Development, Archaeological Assessment; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2015, Coquet Street Development, The Glassworks, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Watching Brief