Tyne and Wear HER(4172): Byker, St Peter's Pottery - Details
Byker, St Peter's Pottery
Pottery Manufacturing Site
St Peter's Pottery was built in 1817 by Thomas Bell and Thomas Fell trading as Thomas Fell and Company. The company produced white, sponged, printed and enamelled wares. In 1869 Fell and Company became a limited liability company, subsequently specialising mainly in white and coloured domestic earthenware and a small amount of lustreware. The last known reference to the firm was in 1891.
<< HER 4172 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97 P.J. Davidson, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, pp 68-9 R.C. Bell, 1986, Maling and other Tyneside Pottery Tyne and Wear County Council, 1981, Maling - A Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell, 1971, Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell & M.A.V. Gill, 1973, The Potteries of Tyneside F. Buckley, 1929, Potteries on the Tyne and Other Northern Potteries during the C188, Archaeologia Aeliana, series 4, p68-82 D.K. Gray, 1985, Introduction to Maling S. Moore & C. Ross, 1989, Maling, The Trademark of Excellence J.T. Shaw, 1973, The Potteries of Wearside