Tyne and Wear HER(4186): Walker, Windmill - Details
Wind Power Site
The windmill and a house and stable were built on the north-western corner of a field called 'Butcher Close' by John Rennoldson. The lease was first granted in 1808 and renewed for a further 21 years in 1828. Walker Mill (Corn) appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan, but is not shown on the 2nd edition plan, so was probably out of use by 1895.
<< HER 4186 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98 J.C. Day, 1965, A Preliminary Survey of Newcastle Windmills, p 67 W. Muncaster, 2003, Miller's Dene Recreation Ground, Walker, Newcastle, Archaeological Assessment