Tyne and Wear HER(4192): Byker, St Anthony's Lead Works - Details
Byker, St Anthony's Lead Works
Metal Smelting Works
St Anthony's Lead Works was in operation between 1846-1932. At the peak of its production the site employed c150 people. The lead works smelted lead ore imported from Europe, principally Spain and processed this along with UK produced lead. The factory refined lead ore to extract silver and manufacture red lead, lead sheet and lead pipe. One of the most important products was red lead since it is insoluble in water so when mixed with linseed oil produces long lasting rust roof paint. Following the closure of the works the buildings were demolished. The site was landscaped in the mid 1960s.
<< HER 4192 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98; Newcastle City Council and Newcastle University, 2010, St Anthony's Lead Works, Site Investigation Report