Tyne and Wear HER(4194): Byker, St Anthony's Pottery - Details
Byker, St Anthony's Pottery
Pottery Manufacturing Site
St Anthony's Pottery was bought by Joseph Sewell from Foster and Cutter around 1804. He produced earthenware, creamware, queen's ware and gold, silver and pink lustreware, pierced wicker baskets and filigree plates. Sewell had a flourishing trade with the continent, principally in pink lustreware jugs. The firm's successors were Sewell and Donkin (from 1821) and Sewell and Company (from 1853). They also made transfer-printed wares & doll's tea sets. Creamware tea and coffee sets, printed with black or red Danish motifs, such as buildings in Copenhagen or Elsinore, scenes or portraits, were exported to the continent. When the company closed in 1878 some of the stock was bought by J. Wood of the Stepney Pottery (HER ref. 5280).
<< HER 4194 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98 P.J. Davidson, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, pp 68-9 R.C. Bell, 1986, Maling and other Tyneside Pottery Tyne and Wear County Council, 1981, Maling - A Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell, 1971, Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell & M.A.V. Gill, 1973, The Potteries of Tyneside F. Buckley, 1929, Potteries on the Tyne and Other Northern Potteries during the C188, Archaeologia Aeliana, series 4, p68-82 D.K. Gray, 1985, Introduction to Maling S. Moore & C. Ross, 1989, Maling, The Trademark of Excellence J.T. Shaw, 1973, The Potteries of Wearside