Tyne and Wear HER(4197): Walker, Alkali Works - Details
Walker, Alkali Works
Coal mining led to the establishment of the chemical industry in Walker due to the salt springs in the King Pit. William Losh moved his alkali works from Scotswood to Walker to take advantage of this valuable natural resource and set up the Walker Alkali Works by the river. Here he manufactured sulphuric acid, copperas, caustic soda and dyes. The Walker Alkali Works built the first Walker West School for the children of its workers. The chemical industry moved to Teeside in the late 1800s, eventually becoming ICI. Walker Alkali Works appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan of the area but is not shown on the 2nd edition plan, indicating that it was out of use by 1895.
<< HER 4197 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98 L. Michael, 1992, Bygone Walker; University of Newcastle upon Tyne Department of Extra-Mural Studies, 1961, The Old Tyneside Chemical Trade, chapter VI, pages 13-15