Tyne and Wear HER(42): North Hylton, Newton village - Details
North Hylton, Newton village
The earliest known reference is 1348-9, when the vill of Newton near Hylton was recorded as owing tithes to the cell of Wearmouth. Newton was certainly part of the Hylton family estates until the mid 17th century, and is sometimes described as a manor. There are no appropriate farm names in the later documents relating to this estate so Newton must be classed as deserted, and its site - though presumably on the north side of the River Wear - unlocated.
<< HER 42 >> Canon Fowler, ed. 1899, Extracts from the Account Rolls of the Abbey of Durham, Surtees Society, II, 100 (for 1898), p. 548, W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of...Durham, Vol. II, pp. 619n, 683-4